Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:
  • 1
  • 2

TOPIC: 2013

2013 7 months 2 weeks ago #89

  • Siobhan
  • Siobhan's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Administrator
  • Posts: 166
  • Karma: 0
JANUARY
Angaston & Penrice Historical Society Inc.
MINUTES OF THE GENERAL MEETING
Held in the Old Union Chapel, Angaston on Tuesday, January 22, 2013 at 7.30 p.m.
PRESENT: Bill Gransbury (Chairman), Anthony Schubert, Ted and Merle Hopkins, Chris Russack, Anne Batten, Barry Chinner, Kingsley Ireland, Phil Othams, Malcolm Fechner, Leo Leggett, Viv Fiebiger, Ron Schilling, Elizabeth and Bill Sibley and Debra Moyle. Guest: Maz McGann from The Barossa Council.
APOLOGIES: Joe Doddridge, Mark Batten, Peter Flaherty, Keith Jamieson and Ian Williamson.

PREVIOUS MINUTES:
Minutes of the November 2012 meeting were moved Chris, seconded Bill Sibley.

BAROSSA COUNCIL REGIONAL GALLERY:
Maz McGann, Manager Community & Culture, The Barossa Council spoke on the Barossa Regional Gallery which is located in the Tanunda S.M. Hall. It is a high quality art space displaying works from the permanent Vintage Festival Collection; Community Art in Fabric; exhibitions of paintings and / or sculptures and a space for paintings by Barossa artists. Council is looking at applying for funding to redevelop the site and include a significant Heritage element in the venue along with a range of other facilities including some local history resources, workshop spaces, function rooms, exhibition spaces and an interactive heritage area. She is going to meet with all the different Historical Groups who are situated in the region and discuss how a centre of this sort would be useful to them and what sorts of things they would like to see in it!

BUSINESS ARISING:
Christmas Barbecue: The barbecue area in the Angas Recreation Park worked well for the Christmas function and weather was perfect.

CORRESPONDENCE:
IN – Angaston Cemetery – Mick Vort Ronald had sent in two pages of his Angaston Cemetery Book which have been altered since it was printed last year. Originally it had been stated that bodies from the old cemetery were moved to the new one on Angaston/Nuriootpa Road but that was not the case.
House Next to Cemetery – Debra Moyle spoke to the meeting on her endeavours to find out details of her home (For sale on February 3, 1866 Hundred Moorooroo part Section 126) next to the Angaston Cemetery on Angaston/Nuriootpa Road on the Nuriootpa side. It was first owned by Johann Gottfried Hanisch who sold to Johann Oscar Herrmann and Friedrich Russack in 1923. Later owners were Heinrich Robert Atze 1935, Bertha Ottilie Boehm 1938, Marie Elizabeth Hanisch 1940, National Bank of Australia 1943, Robert Roy Thiele 1947, Margaret Dorothy Stiller 1985, Peter Jacob, William and Glenys Cornelissen 1987, David and Meredith Walton 1989 and Dulcie Phillip 1991. Since January 2012, Debra and Richard Moyle and is Lot 356 Angaston Road, Nuriootpa.
BLACKSMITH SHOP:
* Bill Gransbury to register the Blacksmith Shop, Old Union Chapel for $100 with Barossa Tourism. He needs ABN and public liability documents first. Barry moved that Bill Gransbury attend to this, Bill Sibley seconded, carried.
* TV and newer player (eg DVD or similar) still to be moved - perhaps into the second room?
* Dwayne and Amanda Martin’s iron has been sold.
* Anne to register for About Time History week on May 25-28 if Chapel is available. Blacksmith Shop opening hours to be included in this event. The Chapel will house costumes and clobber. Suitable name of the event to be thought of.
* Charcoal Bag has been purchased.
* Fire extinguisher was serviced on December 24.
* Updating of the current photocopied blacksmith/cocky history tourist pamphlets that are handed out at the shop to be done when Pauline Cockrill has presented some suggestions of a better layout or format. Anthony has presented a copy of the Riverton Blacksmith Shop booklet to Bill Gransbury and Leo which may have useful ideas in it.
* White Ants were found in the shop. Anthony to contact Greys and Murray Pest Control to get quotes to remove them.
* Ron has officially retired from his duties and a vote of thanks was given by Barry and seconded Leo, carried.
* Due to the cocky removal problems, Bill Gransbury suggested that a “fake” cocky be purchased and put in the cage with an historical story of the other three (Cocky, Bruce and Jacko). Eg. The Ghost of Cocky. Perhaps also remove the newer cage at the back and just keep the original cage. A Cocky Facebook page is another possible venture?
* Roof restoration now needs a report from Richard Atkinson Engineering (as a suggestion) and would cost about $600. Bill Gransbury and interested persons to meet with them at 1 p.m. on January 29 at the shop.
* Volunteers still failing to turn up to the shop when rostered on. Bill Gransbury to send roster out every two months which may help to remind volunteers.

FINANCIAL REPORT: $20,567.18 in bank as of January 1. James Nagel and Phil Oathams are now Life Members.

DONATIONS: Barry Chinner passed a book of the Basedow family onto the Society, donated by Peter Flaherty.
ANGAS PARK FRUIT COMPANY: Malcolm Fechner spoke to the meeting regarding the closure of Angas Park Fruit Company in June this year which has been operating since 1911. Anthony has spoken to Colin Farey and Graeme Strathearn in regards to any historical items hopefully being donated to the A&PHS Society when it closes.
FORMER DISTRICT COUNCIL OF ANGASTON CHAMBERS: Barry moved that Anthony to write to the “new owners” of the former council chambers asking if it could be possible that the A&PHS use the basement/underground area(s) as a storage facility for some/all of the society’s collection. Chris seconded, carried.

CLOSE: Meeting concluded at 9.40 p.m. Coming Meetings: February 26, March 26, April 23, May 28, June 25, July 23, August 27, September 24, October 22 (AGM), November 26, December 10 (Christmas Barbecue).
The administrator has disabled public write access.

2013 7 months 2 weeks ago #90

  • Siobhan
  • Siobhan's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Administrator
  • Posts: 166
  • Karma: 0
FEBRUARY
Angaston & Penrice Historical Society Inc.
MINUTES OF THE GENERAL MEETING
Held in the Old Union Chapel, Angaston on Tuesday, February 26, 2013 at 7.30 p.m.
PRESENT: Bill Gransbury (Chairman), Anthony Schubert, Ian Williamson, Ted Hopkins, Chris Russack, Mark and Anne Batten, Barry Chinner, Leo Leggett, Ron Schilling, Bill Sibley and Debra Moyle.

APOLOGIES: Joe Doddridge, Viv Fiebiger, Elizabeth Sibley and Merle Hopkins.

PREVIOUS MINUTES:
Minutes of the January 2013 meeting were moved Ted, seconded Anne.

BAROSSA COUNCIL REGIONAL GALLERY:
After some discussion, Bill Sibley moved that the A&PHS write to Maz McGann, Manager Community & Culture, The Barossa Council advising that we do not wish to participate in their proposal at the Barossa Regional Gallery at Tanunda S.M. Hall. The money would be better spent on strengthening the existing historical societies. Plus, everything we “own” is to do with the Angaston/Penrice area and it would be out of place situated in Tanunda. Ian sec., carried.

BUSINESS ARISING:
Former Council Chambers Storage: The Angaston Medical Centre have agreed to let the A&PHS uses two lockable rooms underneath their new Washington Street premises (former Angaston and later The Barossa Council offices) which was opened on December 10, 1980. This would be on a bi-annual agreement basis. The A&PHS must also hold its own contents insurance on the items stored in the facility. The Angaston Medical Centre will take possession of the building in March. Amy Robinson and Michael Ryan are the contacts at the Medical Centre.
Ron advised of possible flood damage in those underground rooms if a repeat of the 1983 Barossa Flood eventuates.

CORRESPONDENCE:
IN – Totally Wild – Still no word on when the Blacksmith Shop filming will be shown on Channel 10.
Vintage Festival – Entering Turner’s Butcher Van in the Vintage Festival Parade will be left up to Bob Page (or someone else) if they wish to drive it. Float applications close on March 15.
Barossa Museum – Reg Munchenberg had written a letter outlining their collection policy and the like.
Keightley Plaque – David Keightley (son of Graham and grandson of Douglas) had written regarding a possible Keightley Plaque being erected in Angaston Arbour in The Village Green. This to be passed on to the Angaston Management Group.
OUT – Barossa Tourism membership fee of $100 has been paid and this covers all aspects of heritage in Angaston and Penrice being covered by the organisation, including Blacksmith Shop and Old Union Chapel.
BLACKSMITH SHOP:
* Bellows (oiling of the leather) could be worked on by members of the “Men’s Shed” who are currently working on the Holmes’ Wagon at a minimal cost. The existing bellows are quite ancient and the leather has deteriorated to the stage where at any time from now on they could become un-useable because leather hardens over time and requires replacement. The only remedy would be a complete re-build of the bellows which would take time and be a costly exercise. As we have spare bellows in the shed (ex Sibley Marble Quarries) which are in a similar condition (probably worse) they could be rebuilt into as new condition with some new materials, to use as a replacement (in reserve) if and when required. Neatesfoot Oil is a preservative only and will not restore leather to its original state once it becomes hard as per the Blacksmith Shop ones.
* Updating of the current photocopied blacksmith/cocky history tourist pamphlets (shop, currant vine, cockies, house next door, etc.) that are handed out at the shop to be done when Pauline Cockrill has presented some suggestions of a better layout or format. Anthony has presented a copy of the Riverton Blacksmith Shop booklet to Bill Gransbury and Leo which may have useful ideas in it.
* Statement of Purpose – To preserve, promote and interpret the operations and history of the Doddridge Blacksmith Shop and the traditional craft of blacksmithing; to foster enjoyment, education and inspiration for visitors and the local Angaston community.
* White Ant quotes were received from Grays and Murrays. It was felt that since the white ants had “left” and none were found in or around the shop that this be put on hold until the current posts are tested and if still no sign of white ants then the “problem lapses”.
* Due to the cocky removal problems, Bill Gransbury has purchased some “toy” cockies to place in the cage and a Friends of Cocky Facebook page can be set up.
* Roof restoration reports/quotes to be put on hold until The Barossa Council okays the project.
* Lights in shop have been fixed by Joe, Ron and Bob.
FINANCIAL REPORT: $20,815.18. Some previous members and some new future members still being worked on.
LIFE MEMBERSHIP FEES: The way that Life Membership is set up to be discussed when Ian has looked into the wording of the Constitution – following is from the AGM - Ian moved that membership fees for 2013 be General $15, Concession $10, Life Member $100, Clubs/Organisations/Businesses (Corporate) $40. Viv Fiebiger seconded, carried.
The society to look at the way Life Membership is set up. 1. Become a Life Member after ex amount of work for the society. 2. Honorary Life Member if paying a certain fee for a certain amount of years or 3. Paid up for life Life Member?
HISTORY WEEK: Anne reported that History Week from May 24-28 will carry the theme of “Berets to Blazers to Boots” and will concentrate on old Angaston uniforms/clothing – e.g.: Band Conductor uniform, old football guernseys/boots, school blazers, hats/caps, etc. Vicki March has some clothing and mannequins which we can use.
CLOSE: Meeting concluded at 9.00 p.m.
COMING MEETINGS: March 26 (Ted and Merle apologies), April 23, May 28, June 25, July 23, August 27, September 24, October 22 (AGM), November 26, December 10 (Christmas Barbecue).
The administrator has disabled public write access.

2013 7 months 2 weeks ago #91

  • Siobhan
  • Siobhan's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Administrator
  • Posts: 166
  • Karma: 0
MARCH
Angaston & Penrice Historical Society Inc.
MINUTES OF THE GENERAL MEETING
Held in the Old Union Chapel, Angaston on Tuesday, March 26, 2013 at 7.30 p.m.
PRESENT: Bill Gransbury (Chairman), Anthony Schubert, Ian Williamson, Chris Russack, Anne Batten, Barry Chinner, Leo Leggett, Ron Schilling, Elizabeth and Bill Sibley and Debra Moyle.

APOLOGIES: Joe Doddridge, Viv Fiebiger, Mark Batten, Ted and Merle Hopkins.

PREVIOUS MINUTES:
Minutes of the February 2013 meeting were moved Barry, seconded Chris.

FUTURE STORAGE FACILITY:
Prior to the meeting members viewed the proposed new storage facility for the society in the former District Council of Angaston and later The Barossa Council chambers.

BUSINESS ARISING:
About Time: This event will be advertised through an article by Chris Russack. Any articles of clothing relevant to the event will be asked for in this article.

CORRESPONDENCE:
IN – Geocaching/Heritage Walks – Information for Angaston Management Group/Karina Kroehn for the Angaston Town Day activities has been forwarded.
Vintage Festival – Signs from Turner’s Van to be used on Town Float.
Town Clock – The history or whereabouts of the Town Clock was discussed. Anthony pointed out that in the Angaston/Nuriootpa 1936 Centenary souvenir booklet the following was written: Angaston’s Town Clock, now prominently placed on the Council Office was apparently purchased by the Council in the early days, for it has given service for nearly a century and was overhauled and repaired in 1870. For very many years it was on the front of the old Angaston Post Office and when that place was remodelled in February 1927 it was lodged with Mr D. S. Keightley and later transferred to its present location.
OUT – None.

BLACKSMITH SHOP:
* Bellows (oiling of the leather) may be worked on by Peter Bray (Light Pass Upholsterer)? Ian to get a quote for this and the former Sibley ones to be done at the same time as well.
* Updating of the current photocopied blacksmith/cocky history tourist pamphlets (shop, currant vine, cockies, house next door, etc.) that are handed out at the shop to be done when Pauline Cockrill has presented some suggestions of a better layout or format. Anthony has presented a copy of the Riverton Blacksmith Shop booklet to Bill Gransbury and Leo which may have useful ideas in it.
* Gutter cleaning may be easier to pay someone otherwise steel leaf guards could be installed.
* Custom Cladding to start work on April 8.
* Cocky Facebook page has been set up.
* Roof restoration reports/quotes has been approved by The Barossa Council.
* Totally Wild film of Blacksmith Shop was screened on Channel 10 on March 20.

FINANCIAL REPORT: $19,882.03. Thank you letter to be sent to Kerrie Kiefel in regards to her $2,000 donation.
Possibility of the society’s Insurance details to be put on to the club’s website through Keenan.

RAILWAY PRECINCT: A meeting at the former Railway Station precinct will be held tomorrow for those interested in securing a long term venue. Bill Sibley moved that the society be in favour of being part of the area to promote our purpose. There could be some sort of future home where the current Barracks are situated. Ian seconded and it was carried, subject to the proposed heritage precinct going ahead.

MOSAIC: Anne may attend a Mosaic course on May 13-14 at Melrose in regards to cataloging our historical documents on to a computer.

CLOSE: Meeting concluded at 8.45 p.m.

COMING MEETINGS: April 23, May 28, June 25, July 23, August 27, September 24, October 22 (AGM), November 26, December 10 (Christmas Barbecue).
The administrator has disabled public write access.

2013 7 months 2 weeks ago #92

  • Siobhan
  • Siobhan's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Administrator
  • Posts: 166
  • Karma: 0
APRIL
ANGASTON & PENRICE HISTORICAL SOCIETY
Minutes of meeting held at Old Union Chapel - April 23, 2013
Meeting opened at 7.33pm. Dr. Bill Gransbury took the chair and welcomed those present.
In the absence of group secretary, Anthony Schubert, Chris Russack, agreed to take minutes of the meeting.
A minute’s silence in memory of the late committee member Mark Batten was observed.
Moved Bill G, seconded Ted H “that $100 be donated to the R.A.H. ICU in memory of Mark” - carried.
Attendance: Bill Gransbury, Bill Sibley, Barry Chinner, Ted Hopkins, Merle Hopkins, Elizabeth Sibley, Leo Leggett, Ron Schilling, Chris Russack & Ian Williamson.
Apologies: Anthony Schubert, Viv Fiebiger, Anne Batten & Joe Doddridge
Minutes Previous Meeting: (March 26 2013). Ron S queried oiling of leather on bellows at Blacksmith Shop - amended to read ‘repairing of bellows’. Minutes moved Elizabeth S, seconded Leo L - carried.
Business Arising:
(a) “About Time” advertising (to general business). Chris R has already placed information in ‘The Leader’ and ‘The Grapevine’ seeking items of old clothing, either on a borrowed or donated basis, for display. Article will be forwarded to both Leader and Herald for publication week prior to event.
(b) David Keightley re Keightley town clock/plaque - Bill G/Ted H reported on discussions held. Clock on old photos of jewellery shop is painted on. Quotes of $6363.50 & $7497.50 for 60cm and 80cm options were obtained from ClockMasters (Adelaide) for possible new town clock. Discussions held with AMG - Angaston Lions also discussed concept. Moved Bill S, seconded Leo L, “that the A&PHS supports in principle the purchase/positioning of a town clock within Angaston town-ship” - carried.
Correspondence (Inwards):
(a) Custom Cladding Account - $18741
(b) Nuriootpa Primary School - cheque $20
Correspondence (Outwards):
(a) Letter of thanks to Kerrie Kiefel for $2000 donation
Finance: Current balance - $22284.83
Custom Cladding account to be paid - moved Ian W, seconded Elizabeth S - carried.
Membership: Nil report
Blacksmith Shop:
(a) roof completed & signed off - Leader to run article/photo
(b) Cocky’s Facebook page up and running - photos of restoration are there.
(c) Totally Wild programme already aired - DVDs available at Blacksmith Shop.
(d) visits from Nuriootpa and Tanunda Primary Schools - $20 received
(e) Gumeracha Men’s Group visiting May 13 - Dirk arranged
(f) Story of Blacksmith Shop information needs investigation with additional details perhaps including the shop, house next door, currant vine, cockies, etc… Ron S and Bill G to liaise.
(g) Leo L reported on ‘wrong’ coke being used in furnace
(h) Leo L to obtain linseed oil for internal timbers
(i) bellows - Bill G reported on efforts to have these repaired - pulling apart would save labor costs. Harry Hennig has set of bellows which could be used for replacement - $300. Leo L moved, Merle H seconded “that A&PHS accept offer from H Hennig to purchase set of bellows for $300” - carried.
(j) Bill S to follow up information re history of Sibley bellows.
History Month “About Time” display
• Chris R has spoken with Anne B re Barossa Council hall hire application - he will follow up within next week or so.
• Need to contact Mark Matthews re pews.
• Lions Club to provide trestles.
• Elizabeth S to do letter to schools along lines of 2012.
• Chris R to liaise with Anne B re duty roster.
• Setting up from 9am on Friday 24 May.
• Chris R to organize register of donated items.
• Moved Ian W, seconded Elizabeth S “that $100 be allocated to the cost of advertising ‘About Time’ event in local papers” - carried.
General Business:
• Steve Howell - Barossa Motor Works clearing sale 2001
• Railway precinct - Bill G reported on his attendance at an on-site meeting with architect and AMG and Machinery Club reps
Meeting closed at 9.02pm
Forthcoming meeting schedule - May 28, June 25, July 23, August 27, September 24, October 22 (AGM), November 26 and December 10 (Christmas gathering).
The administrator has disabled public write access.

2013 7 months 2 weeks ago #93

  • Siobhan
  • Siobhan's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Administrator
  • Posts: 166
  • Karma: 0
MAY
Angaston & Penrice Historical Society Inc.
MINUTES OF THE GENERAL MEETING
Held in the Old Union Chapel, Angaston on Tuesday, May 28, 2013 at 7.30 p.m.

PRESENT: Dr. Bill Gransbury (Chairman), Anthony Schubert (secretary), Ian Willamson (treasurer), Leo Leggett, Chris Russack, Elizabeth and Bill Sibley. Guest: Cathy Wills from Tourism Barossa.

APOLOGIES: Ted and Merle Hopkins, Viv Fiebiger, Joe Doddridge, Anne Batten and Kingsley Ireland.

PREVIOUS MINUTES: Minutes of the April 2013 meeting were moved Elizabeth, seconded Barry, carried.

BUSINESS ARISING:
Berets to Blazers to Boots – May 25-28. $146 collected at the door and $27 in book selling. About 100 people attended not including some school groups from Angaston Primary School.
Discussion about the event involved around advertising could have been better according to some visitors, perhaps a photograph relating to the event could be in “The Leader” a week before the event instead of after the event? The About Time History books from Adelaide could be better distributed as apparently a box full were sitting in The Barossa Council offices when the ‘History Week’ was virtually completed? Maybe hold the event from Thursday to Sunday (set up Wednesday) instead of Saturday to Tuesday (set up Friday)?
Town Clock – Bill Gransbury has spoken to Nick at the Post Office re the possibility of erecting it on the Post Office. Nick is checking with Australia Post.

CORRESPONDENCE:
IN – None. OUT – None.

TOURISM BAROSSA:
Cathy Wills from Tourism Barossa spoke on the ways that the society can broaden their presence in society through the internet and social media.
The society’s website can be linked to Barossa.com which we can then advertise any coming events, photographs, historical items and the like on. A link to the Angaston town page can also highlight things like the Blacksmith Shop and the Cocky Facebook page.
Cathy also mentioned the Australian Tourism Data Warehouse which could be useful as there are over 30 Angaston locations already on it.
Geocaching was an idea new to Cathy. Bill will send her the information he has about it. Geocaching is an outdoor recreational activity, in which the participants use a Global Positioning System (GPS) receiver or mobile device and other navigational techniques to hide and seek containers, called "geocaches" or "caches", anywhere in the world and over a dozen are located in and around Angaston.

BLACKSMITH SHOP
• Leo to see Ron regarding some more tourist brochures for the shop.
• Bill G. highlighted statistics for the past two and a half years of visitor numbers and boom/lean times.
• Blacksmith Shop stories regarding cocky, currant vine, mulberry tree, butcher van and the like should be made up for tourists.
• Ian to meet the possible new owners of back land to get their views on the shed relocating?
• September 2 is a visit from Gumeracha Men’s Group.

FINANCIAL REPORT: $3,656 in bank but Tanunda Primary School visit ($45) and approx. $9,000 regarding roof restoration for Blacksmith Shop to be banked which brings balance to around $14,000.

OTHER BUSINESS:
Strategic Plan: Ian suggested that next meeting be a “Strategic Plan” type of meeting for future planning of the society. This could involve shed relocating at blacksmith shop due to very possible sale of the land at the rear of shop. Meeting to also discuss the railway precinct re some type of shed/building/floor plan and former council chambers storage. After we have compiled our thoughts then perhaps involve other groups in discussions (AMG, Historical Vehicle Club, etc).
Angaston Council Wards Map – Dulcie Tscharke has donated a 1908 District Council of Angaston allotment area map showing former wards such as, North Ward, South Ward, etc. Ian to get copies of this and original to be framed.

CLOSE: Meeting concluded at 9.40 p.m.

MEETINGS: June 25 (Strategic Plan), July 23, August 27, September 24, AGM Oct. 22, November 26, Christmas Barbecue December 10.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

2013 7 months 2 weeks ago #94

  • Siobhan
  • Siobhan's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Administrator
  • Posts: 166
  • Karma: 0
JUNE
Angaston & Penrice Historical Society Inc.
MINUTES OF THE GENERAL & STRATEGIC PLANNING MEETING
Held in the Old Union Chapel, Angaston on Tuesday, June 25, 2013 at 7.30 p.m.

PRESENT: Dr. Bill Gransbury (Chairman), Anthony Schubert (secretary), Ian Willamson (treasurer), Leo Leggett, Chris Russack, Barry Chinner, Elizabeth and Bill Sibley and Anne Batten.
APOLOGIES: Ted and Merle Hopkins, Viv Fiebiger, Joe Doddridge and Kingsley Ireland.

PREVIOUS MINUTES: Minutes of the May 2013 meeting were moved Ian, seconded Bill Sibley, carried.
BUSINESS ARISING:
Town Clock – This amongst most other things was covered in the Strategic Planning meeting.
Angaston Council Map 1908 – Ian had copied some of these for members.
CORRESPONDENCE:
IN – None. OUT – None.

FINANCIAL REPORT: $14,012.80 in bank but some accounts to be paid which were passed.
BLACKSMITH SHOP
All covered in Strategic Planning meeting.
OTHER BUSINESS:
Schools: In reply to some letters to the editor in “The Leader” Bernie Conley (via Dulcie Tsharke) had passed on two photos of schools in Angaston over 100 years ago. The captions don’t seem to fit the photos. However, one was “positively” identified as a former house behind the Town Hall used by Rev. James Leonard (now Health on Washington that opened last week – formerly The Barossa Council Offices). The other “may not” be an Angaston photo but was named as E. P. Nesbit’s between the current Foodland Supermarket and the Angaston Hardware on Sturt Street. If in Angaston it would have had to have been taken after 1925 due to electricity pole and Nesbit’s school was long gone by then.
STRATEGIC PLAN:
Members spent the final hour and a half discussing the future of the Society through various aspects of the past and future.
SWOT ANALYSIS:
Strengths – Core group, stable executive, good resource base.
Weaknesses – Not involving their broader membership base/community, no “real” website at the moment, no real management of the blacksmith shop.
Opportunities – Railway precinct, access to grants, website exposure, strategic partnerships, collecting of local eulogies, oral history.
Threats – Ageing community which results in loss of history if not gathered/documented before they pass.
GOALS:
Long Term
Long term future “home” – perhaps where former barracks at Railway Station were/are situated.
Railway Carriages could be purchased to house displays, similar to Goolwa.
History sessions.
Membership Generation.
Historical booklets of Angaston Town Hall history (Anthony), Pillars and Plaques (Elizabeth), Dates/Numbers/Groups/Organisations/Clubs (Chris), Health in Angaston (Bill Gransbury), Blacksmith Shop (Ron and Bill Gransbury), Quarries (Bill Sibley).
Barossa Barons sponsorship along with other Historical Groups.
Medium Term
Move to former Council offices (now Health on Washington) on a lease arrangement.
All collections to be housed in one venue.
Pauline Cockrill from History SA to be involved with the policy review.
Significance of items and documentation of collection.
Displays at Angaston Show, Blacksmith Shop (in shed), History Month, Post Office, future museum.
Short Term
Interpretive sign at Blacksmith Shop.
Town Clock on Post Office – Bill still liasing with Nick at the Post Office.
New Sword for St. Michael in the Memorial Reserve.
Power to shed at Blacksmith Shop. Allegedly the new owners of the land are happy for the shed to stay. Sell off the waggon which would give more room to house the television (needs to be upgraded) and video recorder for the Blacksmith DVD viewing by tourists. This would require electricity to be connected, perhaps by an outside “mushroom” type pole which runs underground. More discussion with new land owners prior to this project and perhaps “secure rights to the shed”?
Also “chain” to run from shop to shed to stop parking on weekends which hinders walk from shop to shed.
Front inside of shop to be cleaned up, eg. brochures, etc. Some could be housed in the shed.
Security at the shop.
Getting restored Waggon from the Men’s Shed and putting it back at Memorial Reserve.
PURPOSE
Preserve known history for current and future local and wider community.
GRANTS
Ian and Bill too look into grants which close July 22. Things such as archival storage material, restoration of the Angaston Town Map dated 1867, software purchasing, recording of oral history, book publications and About Time History Festival 2014 are some of the things which could be attended to with grant money.
CLOSE: Meeting concluded at 9.30 p.m.
MEETINGS: July 23, August 27, September 24, AGM Oct. 22, November 26, Christmas Barbecue December 10.
The administrator has disabled public write access.
  • Page:
  • 1
  • 2
Time to create page: 0.218 seconds