Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:
  • 1
  • 2

TOPIC: 2006

2006 7 months 2 weeks ago #16

  • Siobhan
  • Siobhan's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Administrator
  • Posts: 166
  • Karma: 0
APRIL 06
Angaston & Penrice Historical Society Inc. MINUTES OF THE GENERAL MEETING Held at the Old Union Chapel, Angaston on Tuesday, April 25, 2006 at 7.30 p.m.

Welcome: Kingsley Ireland, as chairman, opened the meeting.

Present: Anthony Schubert (Secretary), Ian Williamson (Treasurer), Ron Schilling, Dean Radford and Colin Liebig.

Apologies: Bill Gransbury, Merv Presser and Joe Doddridge.

Previous Minutes: Minutes of the March meeting were moved Ian, seconded Dean, carried.

Business Arising:
Captain Sturt Plaque: It was felt that the Captain Sturt plaque should be erected in the Children’s Reserve. Council to be contacted in regards to permission to erect it and position. Suggestions were on wagon or stone pillars. It was decided to meet there on Saturday at 1 p.m. Ron to see if he can borrow the plaque to get a better idea of a suitable spot and then recommend this to council.

Town Clock, etc.: The Town Clock and Bridge Plaque (Angaston/Nuriootpa Road, opened 1865) are also held by council. Judy Jones (CEO The Barossa Council) has suggested that these should stay in Angaston when the council moves to Nuriootpa. Prior to next meeting members to meet with her at the council office at 7 p.m. to view these items to get an idea of size, etc. If the items are not erected later on then perhaps they can be put on display in old building next to Angaston Hotel with other items. Ron to check if meeting Judy (or someone) at 7 p.m. on May 23 is possible.

Insurance/Grants: Ian to ring Volunteer Insurance organisation later and look into possible Grants.

Membership: Dean is prepared to help Ian and Barry with membership renewals.

Website: Anthony advised that from now on the minutes will be available on the website as soon as possible after each meeting. Go to www.communitywebs.org then click on Angaston & Penrice Historical Society and they can be found under membership.

Correspondence: All In The Past – a Brisbane births/deaths/marriages publication. Kingsley will reply.
Peter Wishart (Melbourne) re membership and purchase of local Angaston history books which Bill has attended to.
Sturt Expedition: Graham McVitty would like to do a brief field trip on Sturt’s Expedition from Angaston to Moculta/Truro area in August. It was felt that this may be a bigger than expected task and the dates may not suit being a Tuesday and Thursday (15th-17th). Kingsley will contact him to discuss this further.

Financial Report: $2,209 in bank.
Blacksmith Shop takings since last meeting: $670, expenses $12.40 and $35 reimbursement to Don Dodd.
$238 three year registration fee for Turner’s Butcher Van is still to be paid due to the fact that the registration has not been needed recently.

Blacksmith Shop: Colin is still able to be a Blacksmith Shop Co-ordinator.
A new banner is needed to replace the one stolen from outside of the shop recently – Barry may be able to help with this.
Other Business:
Interviews: Don Bessell was recently interviewed and recorded on tape by David Armstrong. Don used to run a business right next door to the Angaston Hotel (Serv-Wel from 1965-68) which is now the building that houses the APHS display. In 1968 he moved the Serv-wel to the former Mutton building straight across the road. On July 7, 1975 Don changed it into the Gift & Toy Centre which he ran until February 27, 1979 and the building now houses Blond Coffee.
David Armstrong is prepared to interview people in regards to the fruit industry.

Close: Meeting concluded at 9.00 p.m.

Coming Meetings: Tuesday, May 23 (Dr. Gransbury apology/shortened meeting due to Luke Rothe attending)
Firstly meet at Council Chambers 7 p.m. to view plaque/clock, etc. TO BE CONFIRMED

Sunday, May 28 Open Day 2 p.m.-4 p.m.
Tuesday, June 27 Film Night with big screen (Colin/Ian)
Last Edit: 5 months 1 week ago by Siobhan.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

2006 7 months 2 weeks ago #19

  • Siobhan
  • Siobhan's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Administrator
  • Posts: 166
  • Karma: 0
MAY 06
Angaston & Penrice Historical Society Inc.
MINUTES OF THE GENERAL MEETING
Held at the Old Union Chapel, Angaston on Tuesday, May 23, 2006 at 7.30 p.m.

Welcome: Ian Williamson, as chairman, opened the meeting.

Present: Anthony Schubert (Secretary), Ian Williamson (Chairman/Treasurer), Ron Schilling, Dean Radford, Merv Presser, Barry Chinner, Joe Doddridge and Colin Liebig. Luke Rothe was a guest.

Apologies: Bill Gransbury and Kingsley Ireland.

Previous Minutes: Minutes of the April meeting were moved Dean, seconded Ron, carried.

Business Arising:
Captain Sturt Plaque/Angaston Bridge Stone Plaque/Town Clock
Prior to the meeting Ian, Anthony, Ron, Dean, Colin and Joe met at The Barossa Council offices to view items of interest.
The Angaston Bridge Stone Plaque was photographed and measured by Ron along with the Town Clock and Captain Charles Sturt plaque from 1944 commemorating 100 years since he passed through the area. The bridge plaque read “Angaston Bridge – AD 1865 – Joshua Crann Contractor” .
A photograph of an approximate location in the Children’s Reserve for the Charles Sturt plaque was viewed. The possible erection and placement of the above three items to be discussed at next meeting.
The proposed Graham McVitty Sturt Expedition in August is also to be discussed at next meeting when Kingsley and Bill are present.
Grants: Ian still working with Grants applications which could be used to erect Charles Sturt plaque.
Insurance: Ian has received some insurance paperwork. Ian was given permission to proceed with this and report back at next meeting. .

Correspondence:
None

Financial Report: $2,442.64 in bank.
Blacksmith Shop takings since last meeting: $386.90, expenses $25 reimbursement to Don Dodd. Ian has to be reimbursed $37 for registering the A&PHS as members of the BV Historical Vehicle Club. The membership is to enable the A&PHS to register Turner’s Van at a more reasonable price by being members of an historical vehicle club.

Blacksmith Shop:
Colin is investigating the installation of power to the back “vehicle shed” at the Blacksmith Shop. When this power installation is in progress the wiring inside the shop should be checked for health and safety reasons at the same time.
Barry moved and Ron seconded that an extension cord be purchased for the shop, carried.
Collection for the van over past few months has been another $130.10 from Angaston Hotel. All up about $730 has been collected so far. The collection tins in both hotels to run until the end of June. After that an article be put in “The Leader” thanking the public and hotels for their contribution. A presentation to be made to Greg Crighton from Angaston Hotel as well.

Other Business:
Photographs: Barry to see Paul Smith from Caithness Manor who has some photographs belonging to the A&PHS which he wishes to return.
Open Day: Open Day this Sunday in Old Union Chapel featuring a photographic display to be supervised by Barry and Kingsley from 2-4 p.m.

Close: Meeting concluded at 8.30 p.m.

Dallwitz Collection:
After the meeting members spent 90 minutes (along with Luke Rothe’s valuable help) sorting through some more of the Dallwitz collection putting certain articles into separate folders eg. personal letters, local receipts, out of town receipts, German articles, wills, council land, etc. Still more work to be done on this. Joe Doddridge is willing to give a hand sorting through this collection whenever possible.

Coming Meetings: Tuesday, June 27 Film Night with big screen (Colin/Ian to organise)
July 25
August 22
September 26
October 24 AGM (Membership of A&PHS for other organisations/groups to be discussed at this meeting).
Last Edit: 5 months 1 week ago by Siobhan.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

2006 7 months 2 weeks ago #20

  • Siobhan
  • Siobhan's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Administrator
  • Posts: 166
  • Karma: 0
JUNE
Angaston & Penrice Historical Society Inc.
MINUTES OF THE GENERAL MEETING
Held at the Old Union Chapel, Angaston on Tuesday, June 27, 2006 at 7.30 p.m.

Present: Dr Bill Gransbury (President/Chairman), Anthony Schubert (Secretary), Ian Williamson (Treasurer), Colin Liebig, Kingsley Ireland, Ron Schilling, Dean Radford, Merv Presser and Barry Chinner.

Apologies: None.

Previous Minutes: Minutes of the May meeting were moved Dean, seconded Ron, carried.

Business Arising:
Captain Sturt Plaque/Angaston Bridge Stone Plaque
Photographs of the approximate spot to erect Sturt Plaque in the Children’s Reserve were viewed. Some suggestions were to erect it on a piece of marble which is the same as the Dallwitz Pillars. The bridge plaque could also be erected with or near the Sturt Plaque. However, the bridge plaque is very hard to read and the weather may not help it. Also trying to fix it may also be harmful. Ian to meet with The Barossa Council’s Heritage Architect to get their views on the projects. Ian is still working with Grants applications which could be used to erect plaque.
Graham McVitty should be invited to the unveiling of the Sturt Plaque when held. Kingsley to contact him and let him know that this is more preferred than his proposed re-enactment expedition through the hills to Moculta in August. Kingsley to bring back Sturt CD’s at next meeting.
Membership Letters: Dean and Barry to work on the membership renewal letters with a membership form attached.
Dallwitz Collection
If possible the Dallwitz Collection to be done at every third meeting. Next workbees will be August and November meetings.
Open Day: Around 50 people attended the recent Open Day. Donations amounted to $76.45.
Insurance: Ian still working on this department.

Correspondence:
* Post Cards will be featuring the Blacksmith Shop on Channel 9 on Sunday, July 9.

* James Bennetts has had Angaston – An Arcadia book sent to them and cheque has been received.

* Thank you from Paul Smith re Spring Brook signage. Much discussion on whether the official name for the Reserve opposite Fiebiger Motors is “Children’s Reserve” or “Soldiers’ Memorial Reserve”. It was felt that Soldiers’ Memorial Reserve was the better option.

* Barossa Council re-updating society information has been taken care of by Bill.

* Barossa Valley Vintage Festival in 2007 (60th Anniversary) will begin on Easter Saturday for the first time. Usually starts Easter Monday. Sunday could be used for Town Walks, eg. “Take A Walk On The Wild Side”. It was felt that the walks could be made shorter than they were in the past. Eg. In more of a direct line up and down Murray Street from the Chapel to Blacksmith Shop. The former PSA “Pleasant Sunday Afternoons” were also another idea that was bandied around - a set of 50 bells being played were the feature of the day when those functions were held in the late 1800’s/early 1900’s.

Financial Report: $2,886.40 in bank.
Ian has been reimbursed $37 for registering the A&PHS as members of the BV Historical Vehicle Club. The membership is to enable the A&PHS to register Turner’s Van at a more reasonable price by being members of an historical vehicle club. Around $80 more was collected from the Hotels for Turner’s Butcher Van appeal. This has now ceased with over $800 being raised from the Hotels. Certificates of appreciation to be given to both businesses.

Blacksmith Shop:
The power has been installed and extension cord has been purchased. Gutters were also cleaned out. A recent “burning off” at the rear of the shop had caused smoke to drift into the back of Fiebiger’s mechanics’ department and elsewhere down Murray Street. A letter of apology to be sent to the Fiebiger workers.

Other Business:
Oral History
David Armstrong has interviewed Eric Both, Graham Keightley, Dennis Reimann, Don Bessell, Clive LePage, Barry Chinner, Tony Robinson, Brian Hurn and Colin Gramp. A copy will be given to the A&PHS.
Wishart/Tallack
Tony Robinson donated an old Scout’s Handbook that was once owned by Harold Wishart. This could be passed onto the Wishart Family along with a Tallack Obituary to the Tallack Family.

Close: Meeting concluded at 9.10 p.m.

Coming Meetings: July 25 (Film night if possible)
August 22 (Dallwitz Collection)
September 26
October 24 AGM (Membership of A&PHS for other organisations/groups to be discussed).
November 28 (Dallwitz Collection)
The administrator has disabled public write access.

2006 7 months 2 weeks ago #21

  • Siobhan
  • Siobhan's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Administrator
  • Posts: 166
  • Karma: 0
JULY
Angaston & Penrice Historical Society Inc.
MINUTES OF THE GENERAL MEETING
Held at the Old Union Chapel, Angaston on Tuesday, July 25, 2006 at 7.30 p.m.

Present: Dr Bill Gransbury (President/Chairman), Anthony Schubert (Secretary), Ian Williamson (Treasurer), Colin Liebig, Ron Schilling, Dean Radford and Barry Chinner.

Apologies: Merv Presser and Kingsley Ireland.

Previous Minutes: Minutes of the June meeting were moved Ian, seconded Dean, carried.

Business Arising:
Captain Sturt Plaque/Angaston Bridge Stone Plaque: Ian still to meet with The Barossa Council’s Heritage Architect to get their views on the projects. Ian is still working with Grants applications which could be used to erect plaque.
Membership Letters: Membership letters had been sent out and Barry had delivered to business houses as well. Neville Smith was made an honorary member for one year due to his kind donation of photocopying the letters for free.
Naming of Reserves – Village Green and Spring Brook/Children’s Reserves/Soldiers’ Memorial??
It was decided to wait and see if the article in “The Leader” on July 19 creates any interest.

Correspondence:
In:
* History Council of S.A. It was agreed to join the council at a fee of $30.
* Sue Wuttke membership renewal along with Jim Taylor, James Nagel and Viv Fiebiger.
* Letter from Barry re the naming of the park.
Out:
* Letter has been sent to Fiebiger’s mechanical staff re the recent burning of rubbish at Blacksmith Shop.

Financial Report: $3,602.40 bank balance.
A total of $4,965.20 was raised in donations to save Turner’s Butcher Van. A list of donors to be printed up and hung in the Blacksmith Shop.

Blacksmith Shop:
Recent takings were $284.25 and after expenses $254.25. From January-June $2,900 has been taken at the door. Ian to see Paul regarding insurance for volunteers. It may be possible to co-insure with him? The certifcates for both hotels thanking staff/patrons for their “Save The Turner’s Van” donations are ready for Bill to present.

Other Business:
A&PHS Possessions
It was decided to meet at Ian’s home this Sunday at 1.00 p.m. to shift articles that are currently stored in the Gourmet Food building to Ian’s Coach House. There are also items stored in the Blacksmith Shop and the old Laundromat next to the Angaston Hotel. Mick Shemmeld has recently donated material from the old Angaston Railway Station days – time sheets/parcel delivery books, etc. Bill Sibley and Helen Hill Smith also have some articles for the society if we wish to have them.
Old Photos
Two old photographs ($80 each) are in the new antique shop (Doris Vaughan’s old home). One photograph is in front of what is now the Barossa Brauhaus Hotel and the other is in front of Angaston Hotel. The Brauhaus photograph still has the old lamp on the front of it which was broken in 1912. Barry to investigate the possibility of purchasing these photographs at a discounted price.
Tour
A senior citizens tour of the Old Union Chapel will be on Monday, August 7. Barry to attend to this.

Close:
Meeting concluded at 8.45 p.m. Members then adjourned to the home of Ian Williamson to view the video interview of the late Russell Sibley which was done in 1996. It runs for approximately 90 minutes. In it Russell describes his school life, working life in Sibley Orchards/Quarries on Bald Hill, going to dances and bible school as a child/teenager, amusing stories from market days/the “night cart” man, being a member of the Show Society, Glee Club and Agricultural Bureau. He also goes through the family bible and gives a brief history of Sibley and Radford families going back as far as his grandfather. The interview was done by John Schwerdt whose father was the policeman at Angaston from around September 1946 through the late 40’s.

Coming Meetings: August 22 (Dallwitz Collection)
September 26
October 24 AGM (Membership of A&PHS for other organisations to be discussed).
November 28 (Dallwitz Collection)
The administrator has disabled public write access.

2006 7 months 2 weeks ago #22

  • Siobhan
  • Siobhan's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Administrator
  • Posts: 166
  • Karma: 0
AUGUST
Angaston & Penrice Historical Society Inc.
MINUTES OF THE GENERAL MEETING
Held at the Old Union Chapel, Angaston on Tuesday, August 22, 2006 at 7.30 p.m.

Present: Dr Bill Gransbury (President/Chairman), Ian Williamson (Treasurer), Colin Liebig, Ron Schilling, Dean Radford and Barry Chinner. Anthony Schubert (Secretary) arrived at 8.15 p.m.

Apologies: Merv Presser and Kingsley Ireland.

Previous Minutes: Minutes of the July meeting were moved Ian, seconded Dean, carried.

Business Arising:
Captain Sturt Plaque/Angaston Bridge Stone Plaque
Ian still to meet with The Barossa Council’s Heritage Architect to get their views on the projects. Ian is still working with Grants applications which could be used to erect plaque.
Membership Letters
Thanks to Barry $390 has been raised.
Naming of Reserves – Village Green and Spring Brook/Children’s Reserves/Soldiers’ Memorial??
The Angaston Main Street Committee have decided on naming it “Memorial Reserve”.
Mount Barker Day Club
36 visitors attended, tea and coffee was provided by Peg Guyatt and Hazel Graue. Cost was $36 and a profit of $144 was made. Bill to do letter of thanks to Peg and Hazel.
Turner’s Van Appreciation Thanks
Certificate of thanks were donated to both Hotels for their help in fundraising to keep the van in Angaston.
Photographs
Two photographs (one in front of Brauhaus Hotel and the other in front of Angaston Hotel) were purchased from Aaron Penley for $80 and life membership was awarded to Aaron.
Material Collection
Material was moved to Ian’s home and only the material in the former Laundromat remains outstanding. The computer is to be donated to the Men’s Club.

Correspondence:
In:
* Thelma Fulton has supplied photographs of the “Mayoral Elections” held in 1959 which was a “fun” competition between Max Laucke, snr.; Fred Schulz, Stan Fulton and Bill Shemmeld. Fred won the competition and his son, Bruce still has the Mayoral Chain and Fred’s speech.
Out:
* Schilling Street Development letter by Bill has been sent to The Barossa Council. Letter agrees with the proposed Five Retirement Homes proposal but the APHS stresses that the development be kept in with the character of Schilling Street which is one of the oldest streets in Angaston.

Financial Report: $2,569 approximately in bank.
Blacksmith Shop: Recent takings were $242.15 nett. It was suggested that Turner’s Van could be entered in next year’s Vintage Festival Parade.

Other Business:
A&PHS Possessions
Ron Schilling has been approached by the Sibley family enquiring if the APHS would like the bellows that used to be used in Sibley’s Quarry. Ian suggested that he could store them at his home and fix them up a bit if possible due to the partly fragile state of them. Dean moved that Ron go back to the Sibley family and get some finer details of the deal (eg. any cost, etc.) and let them know that we are interested in them. Ian sec., carried.
Mansfield Photographs
Tony Robinson had donated some photographs of his mother’s side of the family “Mansfield”. Bill to see Jenni Evans to see if she can recognise any of the people in the photos.

Close:
Meeting concluded at 8.55 p.m.

Coming Meetings: September 26 – Photographs.
October 24 AGM (Membership of A&PHS for other organisations to be discussed) Bill to see if Tony Wege could be guest speaker and speak on the history of Angaston Fire Brigade due to the fact that Tony has just released a history book about the Brigade 1926-2006.
November 28 (Dallwitz Collection)
The administrator has disabled public write access.

2006 7 months 2 weeks ago #23

  • Siobhan
  • Siobhan's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Administrator
  • Posts: 166
  • Karma: 0
SEPTEMBER
Angaston & Penrice Historical Society Inc.
MINUTES OF THE GENERAL MEETING
Held at the Old Union Chapel, Angaston on Tuesday, September 26, 2006 at 7.30 p.m.

Present: Dr Bill Gransbury (President/Chairman), Ian Williamson (Treasurer), Anthony Schubert (Secretary), Kingsley Ireland (Vice President), Colin Liebig, Ron Schilling, Dean Radford and Barry Chinner.

Apologies: Merv Presser.

Previous Minutes: Minutes of the August meeting were moved Ian, seconded Dean, carried.

Business Arising:
Captain Sturt Plaque: Will probably be erected in November.
Naming of Memorial Reserve: The former Council CEO (Judith Jones) had revealed that some years ago The Barossa Council had already decided to name the former “Children’s Reserve” Memorial Reserve.
Sibley Bellows and Collection Items: The former Sibley Quarry bellows had been taken to Ian’s home. Angaston Rifle Club gear which is in the Blacksmith’s Shop is to be taken to Ian’s as well. Colin to check on an old typewriter that Cliff Graue will donate to us if we want it.
Mansfield Photographs: The Mansfield photographs do not seem to be of any value to the Society. Bill will return them to Tony Robinson.
AGM Speaker: Tony Wege will speak at the AGM on the history of Angaston CFS.
Schilling Street Development: Council and Bill had met re the proposed retirement homes in Schilling Street and the APHS are happy with the plans for this venture and there is no need to meet with council at any of their meetings.
Draft changes of the constitution re corporate memberships: Ian is still working on this.

Correspondence:
In:
* Heritage Newsletter
* Schilling Street Development and Schilling Street development decision notification form.
* Australian Heritage.
* Kapunda Historical Society re dinner meeting on March 24, 2007 with Dean Jaensch as guest speaker.
They will notify us of this event again when it draws closer.
* Mining Shareholders Index of Victorian Mines 1857-1886 is now available on CD.
* National Archives re change of business hours.
Out: None.

Financial Report: $2,747.48 in bank.
No progress yet on insurance.

Blacksmith Shop: Recent takings were $340 nett and expenses of $35. Ian and Colin to check speedo cable on Turner’s Van and $30 membership of the Historical Vehicle Club (June 2006-June 2007) was paid.

Other Business:
Angaston Historical Relics
Bill to write to The Barossa Council advising them that when they shift to Nuriootpa that the Society would like to make sure that nothing is thrown out such as the former town clock, former Band instruments, old Institute movie projector, paintings, etc. as they should be kept in Angaston.
Photograph Collection
Members viewed photograph collection after the meeting. 605 photographs are now in the folders.

Close:
Meeting concluded at 8.55 p.m.

Coming Meetings: October 24 AGM (Membership of A&PHS for other organisations to be discussed) Tony Wege guest speaker. Kingsley will be apology.
November 28 (Dallwitz Collection). Bill apology.
Tour of Tanunda Museum whenever possible.
Proposed Dinner in 2007 to celebrate 10 years since forming the APHS.
The administrator has disabled public write access.
  • Page:
  • 1
  • 2
Time to create page: 0.225 seconds